Reid & Gaudett Law Group, LLP   The Law Office of Andrea R. Reid

Office:  1.413.737.1200

The Law Office of Andrea R. Reid
Immigration Law - Citizenship & Naturalization
Find below the links to all of the area of Immigration Law that Attorney Reid offers...
B Visas Citizenship and Naturalization
H Visas Deportation and Removal
L Visas Family
R Visas Employment
U Visas Non-Immigrant Visas

US Immigration and Naturalization Lawyer
Among the most rewarding experiences for a US immigration and naturalization lawyer is to see a client win American citizenship. But the road toward citizenship can sometimes be long and difficult; it takes an experienced and skilled law firm to handle the more challenging cases.

What is Naturalization?

If you are over 18 years old and want to become a U.S. citizen, you will probably have to go through the naturalization process. You must fulfill one of the following circumstances to apply for naturalization:

• You have U.S. permanent residency (a.k.a. “Green Card”) & have lived in the United States for five years.
• You have asylum and have lived in the United States for four years.
• You are the spouse of a U.S. citizen and have lived in the country at least three years.
• You are permanent resident, have served in the United States military, and have been in the country for
   three years.

If you qualify, you must prove that you have sufficient knowledge of U.S. history and government and can speak, read and write in English. Our immigration and naturalization defense lawyers can guide you through this process.

Are There Other Routes to Citizenship?

There are a few ways to become a U.S. citizen without going through naturalization, but most apply only to children. For example, some children born overseas can gain citizenship because their parents are U.S. citizens, aka “Derivative Citizenship.” However, there is a complex formula determining whether such children can gain citizenship.

What Qualifies a Person for Derivative Citizenship?

Adoption by a US citizen may the best-known way to gain derivative citizenship. Some foreign-born children can also gain derivative citizenship by having parents who are US citizens. Even when a foreign national is an adult, it is possible to trace his or her parents’ citizenship and become a citizen. The whole process depends on a series of complex formulas that take into account when the child was born, when the parents were naturalized, etc.

Contact Us
Derivative citizenship, by adoption or otherwise, can be very complicated. Attorney Reid has over eleven years of direct experience handling these immigration issues; she has the knowledge and experience to help you through the process. Contact her at (413) 737.1200 any time and she will get back to you quickly. Attorney Reid strives to turn around most cases in 24 hours.



The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice.
You should consult us or another attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

Copyright 2012 by  the Law Office of Andrea R. Reid.  All Rights Reserved.  You may reproduce materials
available at this site for your own personal use and for non-commercial distribution.  All copies must  include
this copyright statement.
The Law Office of
Andrea R. Reid

83 State Street 3rd Floor
Springfield, MA 01101

[p] 413.737.1200
[f] 413.732.7515
Disclaimer This is an advertisement. The Law Office of Andrea R. Reid limits its practice strictly to Federal immigration and consumer rights laws, both of which are Federal practice areas, as well as Massachusetts divorce and personal injury laws and we do not claim expertise in the laws of any other states other than Massachusetts where we are licensed. The Law Office of Andrea R. Reid does not retain clients on the strength of advertising materials alone but only after following our own engagement procedures (e.g. interviews, conflict checks, retainer agreements). The information contained on this site is intended to educate members of the public generally and is not intended to provide solutions to individual problems. Readers are cautioned not to attempt to solve individual problems on the basis of information contained herein and are strongly advised to seek competent legal counsel before relying on information
on this site.
Website Maintenance & Design by Kreative Dezign Studios | Massachusetts